Thursday, June 18, 2020

Thinking

Hey all. With the announcement of a possible movie reboot, Adam and I came to decision to take the CB blog down.

It's been years since we finished CB and years since I stopped writing for the fandom. I had a lot of fun, but there's so much that Adam and I look back on and cringe at. I mean yeah we were stupid college kids, but still! We've joked about doing a review of the review series but couldn't come up with anything further than "it sucked."

That might be a little harsh, though. I think it definitely had bits that were funny. I regret that I fell into the "angry reviewer" persona so often. I do recall that it was pretty fun to be the over the top one, and Adam plays a great straight man. Still, now I see that kind of persona as cringey and immature (and rightfully so). I also regret that we forced ourselves to go through the series so quickly. We were seriously burned out by the end, and I think it showed in the decreasing quality of the last bunch of reviews.

A lot has changed in my life since I last checked in here. I don't want to go too much into it, because who even cares, but I don't feel like I'm the same person I was when I was working on CB or the related fanfics. I'm an adult who votes and pays taxes and has a lot more perspective than 21 year old Ifi did.

As far as my fanfics go? I don't even know, man. I can't bring myself to reread them! I'm sure they're melodramatic and have terrible mood whiplash and awkward scene transitions. I kinda wonder if people are just coming here to laugh at them.

I still can't believe CB got as popular as it did. I don't think Adam and I actually did anything particularly special, we just tapped into some sort of collective nostalgia that had been previously ignored. There's a lot of things I wish we had done differently and planned better, but I guess that's just a part of growing up. You learn what works, and what doesn't.

Since I know you're curious, Adam and I are still best friends (no, we didn't get married, lol, I'm still gay).

That's all, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad I finished reading the reviews and "Six Days etc" the other day. Shame I never got to see what the Gedd Chronicles were about, though.

    (Believe it or not, Adam isn't the only one who cares about Gedds.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly shocked that someone was reading this so recently. I don't even know what to say, haha. Thank you for your support. I'll pass this comment along to Adam and see what he says.

      Delete
  2. Dang. This is unfortunate. For what it's worth I thought you two were great. I remember being a high school kid and eagerly awaiting the next blog entry. They always gave me a laugh. Hope you both are doing well. Stay safe and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) It was a different time, wasn't it? It feels like a million years ago. Maybe Adam and I will go through everything again and reconsider things, but right now we don't think the series has aged very well, and was overly negative (which was the style of many review series at that time). We both legitimately loved Animorphs and we aren't totally sure CB reflected that.

      Delete